The human body is remarkable when it is well taken care of. A healthy body is able to endure much more. Procreation and pregnancy is a natural part of life, yet there are so many people who struggle with conception and pregnancy. It seems that a lot of our modern environmental factors and lifestyles has a negative effect on our bodies and could cause infertility.
Here is some advice on how to take care of your body in order to avoid infertility.
- Stop Smoking. There is concurring evidence which indicates that smoking is not good for the body and can be harmful to both male and female fertility. If a woman smokes twenty cigarettes a day, it reduces her fertility by over 20%. It also increases the risk of miscarriage in women. In men, smoking is associated with low sperm counts as well as slow sperm movement.
- Reduce Alcohol. Binge drinking has an effect on male and female fertility. Alcohol is toxic to sperm and reduces the sperm count. It also disrupts hormone balances and can increase the risk of miscarriage.
- Exercise moderately. If you exercise excessively, it can lead to menstrual disorders in women. It could affect the sperm count in men as the heat builds up around the testicles.
- Avoid Environmental Hazards. These would include environmental poisons such as pesticides, lead, heavy metals, toxic chemicals and radiation. It’s also advisable to check with your fertility doctor whether the medication you are using may affect fertility. Recreational drugs are also a big no-no.
- Be Aware of Your Weight. If you are overweight it can decrease your chances of falling pregnant. You need to lose weight if you are overweight. Adjust your lifestyle to include a balanced diet and moderate exercise. Both have a positive effect on fertility.
- Take Folic Acid. A small dose of folic acid can help lower the incidence of foetal abnormalities such as spina bifida. If you are undergoing an IVF programme, as a woman you should consider taking folic acid in a small dose of 400 mcg on a daily basis.
- Regular Cervical Smears. This can decrease the incidence of cervical cancer. Go for a cervical smear on a routine basis such as every three years or as your doctor advises.
Our modern lives are filled with products that are not entirely natural or good for us. We consume a lot of unhealthy foods that are filled with odd ingredients and preservatives. The type of lifestyle you live can play a big role in fertility, so it’s best to watch what you put in your mouth and take care of your body.
BioART Fertility Centre offers a unique experience in fertility treatment. We have a long history of state of the ART fertility care delivered with a personal touch. Each and every patient is treated as a unique couple with individual problems and needs. We combine a dignified and compassionate approach with state-of-the-art, advanced reproductive technologies.
Contact Us: +27 11 484 5119