Finding out that you’re pregnant is wonderful news. Many women dream of this day and enjoy every minute of being pregnant. With the joys of pregnancy there are certain nutritional requirements for a healthy baby that you need to take into account. Here are a few tips regarding nutrition during pregnancy.
- Your doctor will tell you that the first thing you need to implement in your daily regime is folic acid and iron as part of your daily vitamin and mineral requirements. You can opt for prenatal vitamins that include a balanced amount of vitamins, folic acid and iron to contribute towards a healthy pregnancy.
- Eat better, not necessarily more. You don’t need to add a lot
- 6 more calories during the first trimester if you already have a healthy weight. Towards the second trimester you need to increase your calorie intake by about 340 additional calories and in the third trimester it can be increased to about 450 additional calories. However, if your weight is not average, you will need to adjust the calorie intake accordingly.
- Avoid certain unsafe foods. Certain foods can be dangerous for the baby so avoid raw seafood, soft cheese, raw meat, and unpasteurised milk. These foods could possibly contain bacteria that can be harmful to the baby.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks. Alcohol may cause physical defects, emotional problems or learning disabilities.
- Limit your caffeine intake. Keep your coffee drinks to a minimum of 1 cup a day. High amounts of caffeine have been linked to miscarriages, as well as to low weight in babies.
- Avoid or limit your intake of certain types of fish. Most types of fish contain methylmercury. This is a metal that is deemed to be harmful to the growing brains of babies.
- Check with your fertility doctors whether you need take any other supplements to complete your nutritional intake during pregnancy. Depending on your body, they may suggest calcium or iron supplements. If you are vegetarian, they will take this into account and suggest the appropriate supplements such as protein.
- Don’t diet while you’re pregnant. You need to gain the appropriate amount of weight of each month to achieve a healthy pregnancy. You need to eat well and consider wholesome foods. You can treat yourself occasion and enjoy a sweet treat.
Instead of eating bulky meals less often, rather enjoy small meals on a frequent basis. This helps when you are feeling nausea and can’t eat full meals. Establish an eating pattern that fits into your daily routine.
BioART Fertility Centre offers a unique experience in fertility treatment. We have a long history of state of the ART fertility care delivered with a personal touch. Each and every patient is treated as a unique couple with individual problems and needs. We combine a dignified and compassionate approach with state-of-the-art, advanced reproductive technologies.
Contact Us: +27 11 484 5119